Daily Skin Care Routine At Home
Many individuals, including celebrities with enviable skin, swear by a strict skincare routine. Admittedly, one look at Kerry Washington or Natalie Portman youthful and glowing skin and you’re sold. However, when it comes to actually knowing where and how to start a rigid daily skincare routine at home, we get confused.
As daunting and confusing as it can be to incorporate a daily skincare routine for glowing skin that takes chunks off your money and time, it’s necessary. But where do we go and what do we do? The purpose of this article is to simplify it by outlining the basic skincare routine steps that are easy to understand and stick to.
What is your skin type?
Before starting your skincare routine, you need to find out your skin type. Knowing your skin type will help guide you to the products that are best for your skin. This will increase the effectiveness of the routine that you’ve incorporated for your skin. Below are the different skin types and their characteristics:
- Oily: If your skin is constantly oily and shiny throughout the day, you probably have oily skin. This means that you’ll have to choose and stick to products that are oil-free. By adhering to the skincare routine for oily skin, acne and dark spots will no longer be a thing.
- Dry: The best way to tell if your skin is dry is by first washing it and not applying anything for at least an hour. If your skin is oily after an hour, then you have oily skin. If it’s tight and dry after an hour is over, then you have dry. While choosing facial products for your skin, stick to oil-based products to help keep your skin supple.
Since individuals with dry skin are known to age faster, having a rigid skin care routine for dry skin will help keep wrinkles at bay. Always include an anti-ageing serum or lotion into your routine as well.
- Combination: Combination skin means that you have both of the aforementioned skin types: dry and oily. If you notice that your cheeks tend to be dry but your T-zone is always oily, then you have combination skin.
- Sensitive: People with oily, dry or combination skin can have sensitive skin. If after using almost any and every product on your skin causes itchiness, a burning sensation or irritation, then you have sensitive skin. There are numerous brands that cater to individuals with sensitive skin, especially these natural skin care brands.
Learn the ingredients that tend to trigger allergic reactions after using them so that you can avoid them. Not every sensitive skincare product is one size fits all.
- Normal: This is the type of skin that everybody wishes they had. The few that are lucky to have normal skin barely have any skincare problems. However, to help maintain the health of their skin and slow down skin ageing, following a proper skin regimen is advised.
Basic Rules for the Best Daily Skincare Routine at Home
Now that you know your skin type, you already know the products that are good and bad for you. Regardless of your skin type, your skincare routine steps should follow the following basic rules:
- Cleanse: Cleansing your skin on a daily skincare routine for glowing skin is unavoidable. Cleansing entails the removal of dirt and other impurities from the skin. This step is important whether or not you use makeup since dirt and oil are the number one acne-causing factors.
- Tone: A tone is used to even your skin and give it that healthier look that we all crave for. It achieves this by increasing the firmness of our skin, as well as removing leftover dirt after cleansing. Of course, the fact that it helps restore your skin’s pH lends to ensuring younger and healthier-looking skin for a long time.
- Moisturize: Whenever we cleanse, we tend to strip both dirt and oil off of our skin. That’s why the skin tends to feel dry and tight after cleansing. To help add moisture back to your skin, you need to use a moisturizer that is ideal for your skin type. This is true whether or not you have oily skin.
- Protection: The last and very important step is protecting your skin from sun damage. The sun is a major cause of skin cancer and accelerated skin ageing. Do not skip your sunscreen even on cloudy days. The best natural facial sunscreen is made by Beauty by Earth.
Now, it goes without saying that the cosmetic industry leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to ensuring the safety of our skin. With the number of studies revealing the harmful effects of top beauty products, it’s only a matter of time before we face the consequences. Following the above skincare routine steps will only be effective if you ensure that you are using safe and clean ingredients.
What to use?
The best way to go about this is by either making your own skincare products from home or opting to use organic skincare products. Below are the top daily skincare routine home remedies that can help you stick to a natural skincare regimen.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is known to have a lot of benefits to our health when consumed. It turns out that oatmeal is versatile in nature and is very useful and effective for proper skincare. By soaking organic rolled oats in warm water for at least 15 minutes, you have an effective cleanser. Get Oats by Bob’s Red Mill on Amazon.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple vinegar is a crowd favorite due to its effectiveness in toning the skin. However, you should always dilute it with water before dabbing it on the skin. It can be harsh when used straight. Get some organic apple cider vinegar on Amazon.
- Rosewater: Rosewater, though milder than Apple Cider Vinegar, is no less effective in toning the skin. People love it because it increases skin firmness, prevents acne and closes off large pores. It smells so good too. Normally $10 for 4oz we found this 8oz bottle for $10 on amazon.
- Coconut oil and Olive oil: If you have oily skin, you want to be wary of using these products for moisturizing your skin. You can, however, limit how much of the products you use on the skin. Other types of moisturizers include aloe Vera, Vitamin E, Jojoba Oil and grape seed oil. Always choose your products according to your skin type for best results. This is the cheapest organic unrefined coconut oil we found on Amazon. Ozelia is an USDA organic olive oil we love.
- Baking Soda: putting a baking soda and water mix onto your skin for a few minutes can help reduce blackheads and acne. It closes your pores and cleans away the oils and dead skin cells. Get some good old Arm & Hammer Baking Soda.
- Essential Oils: Pure lavender essential oil can be used to dry your skin if it has excess oil. Majestic Pure makes a good Lavender Essential Oil.
- Ice Cubes: If your face is breaking out, hold an ice cube to your acne. This will help reduce pain and redness. If you run an ice cube along your face after you shower it will act as a toner and close your pores to help prevent acne from occurring in the first place. Find these in your fridge or at your local grocery store 🙂
What else do you use for a natural daily skincare routine at home? Leave a comment.
What is the Best Tea to Drink for Weight Loss?A Morning TeaThe Ayurvedic Masala Chai Blend is the best tea to drink for weight loss because of its digestive and immune-supporting herbs. You may drink it year-round, but it is particularly helpful during the holidays...
Why I LOVE Bare Republic Sunscreen by Kim at Lumi Lash As an esthetician, I love trying new skincare products. One of my favorite products that I use daily is Bare Republic Mineral Sunscreen for the face! What I LOVE About Bare Republic Sunscreen Its lightweight sheer...
Homemade Face Moisturizer Imagine a product that can reduce the look of fine lines and deep wrinkles while you sleep or a fragrance-free, anti-wrinkle cream that will not only provide intense hydration but will also restore moisture for a smoother, plumper skin in...
Make Your Own Homemade Moisturizer with All Natural Ingredients A Look into the Past From Native American’s use of yucca extract for hair growth to Egyptian cosmetology over 6000 years ago, and the milk baths of the Baroque era used for smooth and clear skin,...
The Best Organic Makeup: A list of non toxic makeup brands We’ve made a chemical free makeup list and we have to say these companies may be saving our lives by using safe, all-natural ingredients that are plant based! Henné Organics HAN Skincare Cosmetics True Glue...
How to Make Your Own Homemade Laundry Detergent Without Borax Making your own laundry detergent is liberating! It’s fun, easy and better for your clothes. Normal laundry detergent is full of chemicals that get washed into our water’s ecosystem and then ingested by all...
Best Natural Face Wash for Dry Skin or Sensitive Skin If you pick a natural face wash for your dry skin, you cannot go wrong when it contains only herbal ingredients. Alitura, SW Basics, Beauty by Earth, and Mira’s Naturals are brands that you can trust because they...
The Best Organic Skincare Brands List As people drift towards healthier foods, they also demand beauty products that are safe to use on their skin. A healthier diet is like the gateway drug to healthier skincare. The healthy food trend catapulted the growth and...
Best Organic Skin Care Product Reviews Choosing to use organic skincare is not just a trendy thing to do anymore, it’s a choice towards safeguarding health. Even though a while back natural skincare brands used to pale in comparison to most of the leading cosmetic...
Effective Hand Crafted Skin Care Remedies Choosing to use organic skincare brands is the first step to safeguarding the health of your skin. The second step is becoming a more active consumer, always double-check the ingredients and carry out your own research. Of...
Top Harmful Ingredients in Cosmetics and Beauty Products If you’ve shifted towards consuming a nutrient-dense diet, it’s only second nature to always double-check the ingredients of the food you purchase. The same logic should be applied when it comes to purchasing...
50 Easy Daily Self Care Checklist Ideas This is the ultimate list of things to put on your daily self care checklist.1) Eye exercises It's simple and takes about 1 minute. Go ahead and do it now. Lookup, to the right, down to the middle at your nose, to the left, and...
Why Meat, Cheese, and Sugar is Your Guilty Pleasure: It’s Marketing You drive past a gas station, and a big banner is plastered on the window displaying a donut, a cookie, a hamburger, and a hot dog. Commercials and coupons are all for fast food restaurants. Fast food...
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Products are not purchased, only the ingredients listed on Amazon are analyzed for recommendations.